Just little old me

Just little old me

Friday, July 18, 2014

Sidekick - A Lesson in Poetry

During this journey, I have decided to bring along a sidekick. My daughter. Oh, one of the lights of my life! I'm teaching her to write poetry. She did creative writing last year in school and I really think this could be a good outlet for her as well. We'll see.

Our first lesson was a color poem.






(see link below)


I had her pick a color. She chose yellow: her daddy's favorite color. :) She came up with 5 things that were that color and wrote them down in a list. Then I had her write a describing word with each one. She needed a little guidance, but she was able to finish it. Then I did the unmentionable...I made her read it out loud to us. She was nervous, but did great.


Our second was a list poem.
(see link below)

This time, she wrote down a list of things she liked to look at in nature. Again, 5 things. I gave her an additional task this time...add a verb or action word after the subject.

Describing word: Fluffy
Subject: Cloud
Action word: Floating

Fluffy Cloud Floating.

Pretty simple. When she finished it went like this...

Fluffy Clouds Floating
Itchy Bugs Buzzing
Green Leaves Wiggling
Blue Sky Darkening
Quiet Pond Waving

After reading, I asked her what the words reminded her of and what she could name the poem. She decided on Storm.

I'm seriously proud of her.

AMc


Picture Credit: 
http://www.themeasuredmom.com/teach-children-to-write-poetry-simple-color-poem/#comment-166496

http://imaginationsoup.net/2009/06/list-poems-easy-for-you-and-your-child/#_a5y_p=1500151

No comments:

Post a Comment